About AWI Engineering
When it comes to enhancing your technical career, AWI Engineering is the partner you can rely on to align your interests, qualifications, and talents to the right opportunity at the right time. We look forward to your application for this role and establishing a career partnership with you.
The Process Improvement Engineer uses engineering knowledge to continually optimize and improve processes and activities at operating facilities through plant performance testing, monitoring and data analysis. This position develops and employs process unit and plant-wide material and energy balances to evaluate and improve plant operation. The Process Improvement Engineer provides technical support to the plant focused on operational improvement, technology selection, optimization, and troubleshooting. This position develops test plans, execute the test plans, analyze the results, prepare the reports, make recommendations to Senior Management, and work on the implementation of the new plant improvements. This position provides technical leadership in broad deployment of improved technology. The Process Improvement Engineer works with the Information Technology in the evaluation and implementation of new technologies and plant optimization tools.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Review the plant operating processes to optimize operations and use an engineering skill set to make it more economically viable.
• Analyzes plant performance data and compares to design basis and other procedures. Uses this data to determine for efficient and effective modes of operation.
• Leads technical optimization and investigations for plant troubleshooting.
• Develops and employs material and energy balances to monitor and improve plant operation.
• Develops and executes test protocols.
• Writes the protocol and assists or leads the execution of the tests.
• Writes or manages the preparation of final test reports with conclusions and recommendations.
• Recommends areas and methods for process improvement. Participates in work stream teams to communicate these methods across the organization.
• Reviews and comments on technical specifications and basic engineering drawings in support of corporate engineering.
• Reviews and comments on technical scopes of work for engineering contractors on large capital projects lead by the corporate project group.
• Develops, reviews and comments on technical scopes of work for engineering contractors for smaller, plant lead capital projects.
• Reviews and comments on technical design basis for areas within employee’s specific discipline.
• Serves as the facility champion for Management of Change, ensuring the Management of Change process is implemented, followed and completed for all identified changes.
• Performs cost/benefit analysis for various design alternatives.
• Performs engineering calculations required to define conceptual and detail designs. Communicates needs in clear, effective and timely manner.
• Performs emission calculations.
• Interfaces with vendors to evaluate material and equipment selections.
• Interfaces with suppliers for field support of various equipment and systems.
• Assists in performance of compliance and acceptance testing.
• Supports construction projects as required for on-site technical support.
• Assists in plant start-up and commissioning activities.
• Supports environmental permitting and compliance issues.
• Supports operations in the development, review and implementation of procedures to ensure safe, efficient and reliable operation.
• Understanding of and compliance with all Quality Assurance policies, and immediate reporting of any potential food safety issues to management.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering required.
• Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Minimum three (3) years of process improvement experience required.
• Strong knowledge in process/project engineering with experience in dairy process engineering (preferably aseptic) required.
• Knowledge of Capital projects, Project Management, and safety required.
• Strong chemistry or chemical engineering background preferred.
• New Product Development and New Process Development preferred.
• Knowledge of technical areas including combustion, high-temperature materials, material handling, heat & material balance programs, waste heat recovery, environmental engineering processes, and project management.
• Ability to design, specify, start-up, and troubleshoot process systems. Ability to analyze plant data to validate heat and material balances, optimize operations to maximize efficiency.
• Remain current on existing and emerging technical advances of equipment, facilities and process controls.
• Working knowledge of building codes, permits, and blue print reading.
• Working knowledge of GMPs, FDA, USDA and OSHA regulations.
• Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure
• Experience with AutoCAD, OSI Pi, Microsoft Project, and Maximo.
All Qualified Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Qualified Applicants are United States Citizens or Permanent Residents (Green Card Holders) who have the legal right to work in the United States without sponsorship and meet the Minimum Qualifications listed above.